new city college tower hamlets science labs
New City College
Age Range: 16+
New City College Tower Hamlets Campus
New City College is the largest college in east London. It was formed back in 2016 with mergers of Hackney Community College and Tower Hamlets College, further mergers took place in 2017, 2018 and 2019 with Redbridge College, Epping Forest College and Havering 6th Form College. Each area has a campus providing a wide range of courses for the local communities. The Tower Hamlets campus has a strong reputation for University progression with many students each year achieving that goal.
InterFocus was asked to provide a turnkey refurbishment solution for New City College Tower Hamlets. We were asked to come up with a modern and bright design for the new Science Classrooms on the Poplar campus. Working with the clients we came up with a rounded design to maximize work space areas but to also give a modern feel to the labs.
The project was split into two phases the North Annex and the South Annex. Each phase providing new classroom laboratories, Kitchen areas and prep room facilities. A complete overhaul of the heating system was also included with new boilers and boiler room installation. Externally the canopy and walkway areas were refurbished. The project provided some challenges due to the location making deliveries especially challenging. The entire project ran over a period of 9 weeks.
The project comprised of the following key areas
- Complete strip out and isolation of existing services
- Removal of internal walls
- Floor Chasing ready for new M&E services
- Complete overhaul of heating system with installation of new boilers and boiler room area.
- Installation of new partition walls and doors
- New extraction system installed for fume cupboards
- The canopy and walkway area in the South Annex were refurbished
- Ground works for new external drains including connections
- Decorating both internal and external
- Design and manufacture new laboratory classroom furniture in bold colours, peninsular ends had bespoke curved panels produced and powder coated to match the Anthracite furniture. The different lab areas were colour coded with Lime, Red and Blue. With the prep room areas the design was to maximize storage.
- Commissioning of fume cupboards and final handover.